Wednesday 10 October 2012

DIY play kitchen

How to upcycle an old night stand in a brand new play kitchen? It is more easy than it seems! This is the one I have just made for my 2 years old son.


1- Go to the flea market or in a second hand store to find an old night stand (I have found this one for $10). Also look for an old faucet, a bowl and all the other accessories. I had to buy the faucet new ($25) and I couldn't use paint from home as my son wanted his kitchen yellow and I did not have this color. So I have spent $20 more for the paint. My total budget was $70.
2- Clean the night stand and remove all the unecessary parts of it. (about 1 h)



3- Cut the holes for the sink and the oven door, and drill all the holes you will need, then sand and only after paint. (you could damage the paint by cuting or drilling after) (about 3 hours)
4- Assemble all the parts together, glue the sink, screw all the other parts and do not forget to sew a little curtain. (about 3 hours)




Et voilà! After 7 to 8 hours of fun, you have a cute little kitchen, reallly nicer and cheaper than those you can find in shops. And your little one is just happy!

You can check the numerous examples from the web (a lot of cute ones in pinterest), and also this great site that inspired me a lot: http://www.k-collection-shop.com/

15 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I stopped by to see your Halloween block, and stayed for this wonderful toy kitchen. What a great idea -- my kids are grown now, but this is a clever idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did u get the stove knobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can find replacement knobs at hardware store maybe even Walmart

      Delete
  3. That is so adorable. It's a shame that DIY ideas and refurbishing wasn't a big thing back when I was a child. But I still had fun, but this is absolutely adorable. I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you use to cut the hole in the top of the night stand?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you please give directions on how to make the oven door open as you did? What kind of hardware did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes I also would lite to know where you got the stove knobs please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea for my great granddaughter she is 2 now.. this is something that can be handed down for many yrs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a daughter with special needs. This will save money and time. Teaching her how to be safe in the kitchen is going to be a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I would go with avocado green to give it a retro feel. But absolutely beautiful and a wonderful idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just adorable! My son will be 2 in a few months and I am considering doing this for his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What did you use for the back? How is it secured?

    ReplyDelete